Thursday, June 7, 2012

"The Other Slipper" by Kenechi Udogu

The Other Slipper
NOTE: I received this book to review by the author.

At first, I thought that "The Other Slipper" would be a retelling of Cinderella. But it turned out that it was the story behind Cinderella's slippers. Which sort of surprised me a little, though I was glad I wasn't reading something I'd read so many times before.

So, this is the story of Jo, an ordinary girl living in an ordinary world, where nothing out of the ordinary happens. Until the night of the ball, when she finds herself in the middle of the road, this weird crystal slipper just a few feet away from her. This was seriously one of the funniest moments in this book, and there were several, where I honestly laughed out loud at Jo's reasoning. Anyway, the fairy godmother sends Jo on a mission to return the slippers to their rightful owner. Little does Jo know that her path to the mysterious Lady of Ould would be full of unanticipated adventures that would take her further away from home.

I mostly liked the voice of this story. It was slightly ironic, and quite funny in certain places. But sometimes it was much too irritating. The inner dialogues of the characters were sometimes ridiculous and way too unrealistic. Some things were repeated numerous times and if I wasn't interested in the development of the story itself, I might've just abandoned the book altogether.

About the characters: I can't say they were oh so deep and all consuming. Umm, no. Sometimes they were just plain dull and shallow. They did have their sparkly moments, but on the most part they weren't anything spectacular.

What I did like about them however,was that they developed over time. Jo became more considerate and understanding; Ron became sure of himself and quite reasonable; Locke turned into a caring guy, ready to offer his services.

All in all, I liked the story, so the


are a very reasonable rating. I'd recommend this book to you if you're into fairy tales and such.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here...